Monday, February 9, 2015

City Market: Tamale Place, Mauricio's and Circle City Soups

This post is a little different because I am going to touch on several different spots all within the City Market. I get excited every time I go in there these days, because there are so many good options of places to eat. When I think back to just 7-8 years ago when we first moved back to Indy, the change is so dramatic and exciting.

The first lunch with a friend, I had nachos ($7.49) from the Tamale Place and he had a slice of pizza and a salad from Mauricio’s Pizza ($6.75). You guys had all recommended the nachos, and they were pretty decadent for sure. I had the spicy chipotle chicken version, because I had had it before in a taco and enjoyed it. It has a nice little kick to it. It’s layered with queso, shredded cheese, the chicken and lettuce on top. I got some stuff to dip into (salsa, guac and sour cream because I was being indecisive). I enjoyed it, but wished I had some extra chips because it was so gooey pretty quick and the chips underneath got kind of soggy. Honestly, while the flavors were good, I think I prefer the tacos just because they’re a little easier to handle. I’d probably skip the lettuce next time too.

I have had a couple bites of the pizza from Mauricio’s on various occasions—and I think it is pretty decent New York style pizza. It’s thin crust that they heat up in the pizza ovens before they serve it. This one was mushroom, which is one of my favorite pizza toppings and I would happily eat it again. It’s a nice crispy crust and has the right amount of toppings so that it doesn’t get soggy. They have a decent looking deep-dish style as well. Anyone tried that one? It’s certainly one of the fastest places at the Market I think--good to remember if you’re in a hurry.

The following week I went back to meet another friend for lunch. It’s becoming one of my new go to because there are just so many different things to suit whatever mood you’re in. This friend hadn’t been to the market and several years and was pretty blown away. This time I was lured in by the Taste of the NFL award-winning sandwich offered at Circle City Soups. I had the mini version at the competition, but the lunch one is even more decadent with a full sized croissant from Circle City Sweets, bacon, a runny fried egg, arugula, romesco sauce and pepper jack cheese. First of all, that croissant you guys. One of the best I’ve had for sure—and definitely my favorite it Indy. So buttery and moist with just the exact right amount of flakiness. And the toppings go beyond your typical blt with the red pepper based romesco sauce. Also, the sandwich is warm and the cheese is nice and melted. Honestly, eating the sandwich, you just sort of felt like the whole thing kind of melted in your mouth. This is a sandwich worth splurging on. Not your typical BLT for sure, and really delicious.

Of course, these are just a few of so many great choices. I’m looking forward to returning to Spice Box and The Pantry soon, just to name a few. So tell me what your favorites are.

The Tamale Place
City Market 
222 East Market Street
Indy 46204

Mauricio’s Pizza
Indianapolis City Market
222 East Market Street
Indy  46204
317/423-2920

Circle City Soups
Indianapolis City Market
222 East Market Street
Indy  46204
317/956-2395


No comments:

Post a Comment