Monday, December 1, 2014

City Café- Breakfast

I was celebrating my BFF’s birthday the other day and she chose City Café to go for breakfast. I was excited because while I have eaten lunch here a fair amount, I had yet to eat breakfast (it’s only served until 11:00 at least during the week). It was hard to decide what I wanted. I settled on the migas ($8). This is sort of their version of a chiliquiles and it was delicious. It is three scrambled eggs with Monterey jack cheese mixed into it, as well as their housemade salsa and really fresh tasting, super crispy tortilla strips.

It is pretty simple and straightforward, but really good. The eggs aren’t overcooked and the bit of tomato in the salsa gives the acidic kick. The cheese makes it, well, cheesy and the tortilla strips stay crisp the whole time and add excellent texture. The only thing I would change or add would be to get a side of their lime cilantro sour cream with it (I actually tried, but I think my server forgot about it). It didn’t really matter though, because it was still delicious and I licked the plate clean. I would get this again in a second. In fact, I wish I could get it right now. 

I also got a side of their breakfast potatoes ($1.75)—they are little dices that are fried. More like home fries. They were just ok to me. Like I have said before, I am more of a hash brown kind of girl. I like my potatoes on the crispy side. The eggs also come with a couple of sliced of multigrain toast that was buttered and tasty. 

My BFF got the roast beef hash and it was also quite good—very hearty. More of the diced potatoes but mixed with teeny diced of peppers and onions and then hunks of the roast beef. It had a wintery, almost stew-like taste. She got her eggs scrambled. I would probably opt for a runny egg to add some more moisture, but this was a nice dish as well, even though I wouldn’t choose it over my migas.

The people who work here are always quite friendly and this time was no exception. It’s a cute little place with good quality food. If you haven’t tried it yet, I would recommend it.


City Café
443 North Pennsylvania
Indy 46204
317/833-CAFÉ
City Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment