Thursday, March 17, 2011

La Hacienda: Revist

So I have to admit, I get a little burnt out on Mexican food around here, because so much of it seems the same.  And even within a particular restaurant, oftentimes, it is just many of the same ingredients being used in different shapes and tortillas. One of our regular Mexican places is La Hacienda because it is really close to our house, and if I am honest, because I really like the Texas margaritas and chips and salsa.  The kids really like it, it is really fast, and they people are generally pretty nice.
I met a friend for lunch the other day though and she recommended something new—something I had never even actually noticed on the menu (which, like many Mexican places is enormous)—the chicken soup.  Sounds boring huh? But I really liked it.  And honestly, it is a lot of those same ingredients, but just enough different, that it didn’t bore me.

So it is an enormous bowl of soup with all kinds of things in it.  There were even pieces of tortilla on the bottom that were soft.  There was a little bit of cheese in there, that would surprise you when you got a spoonful with some in it, a lot of tender shredded chicken, chopped pico de gallo (onions, cilantro, and tomato) and bits of rice all in a slightly spicy, but rich, chicken-y broth.  My favorite part, of course, was the creamy, cool slices of avocado lying across the top (some of it sunk  before I took the picture).  There was enough to get a little bit of it with most of your bites.  I appreciated they weren’t skimping on it.
The only thing I didn’t like about the soup was I really wanted to eat it all, and my stomach was so full from it that I couldn’t.  Of course the chips and salsa and margaritas didn’t really help that problem either, but they are all so good.  Like I said, this is a place our family goes to fairly often, and I am happy to report something new and interesting to order.  And hey, if you guys go there, and have a favorite item to share, I would love to hear it. Or, of course, I continue to keep my list of new Mexican places to try if you have any suggestions in that regard too!
La Hacienda
6825 Graham Road (and other locations)
Indy  46220
317-577-2689



La Hacienda Mexican on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

  1. I reccomend trying out El Rodeo in Speedway (just not on the weekend since it's usually packed). They have some of the best service in town. We've been regulars there for years. Some suggestions are the pollo toluca and pablos burrito but there's really nothing bad on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a fan of going out to get Mexican food. I tend to agree that most places seem very similar to me and I've never had anything that has wowed me. I think it has more to do with my personal taste than it does the restaurants. Anyway I'm glad you found something you liked that was a little bit different than the usual fare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and I think one of the best and most authentic Mexican restaurants around is Pancho's Taqueria on Allisonville just north of 96th street in the strip mall. If you're a fan of free chips, you will miss those, but the al pastor tacos and mole enchiladas are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of La Parada on the near Eastside. It's not fancy, but it's delicious and the owners are nice people. https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Parada/

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter loved this GIGANTIC bowl of soup as a toddler. She is a vegetarian now- and I think she still kind of wants to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of the generic places I often dub Mexican-by-numbers, this location is perhaps my favorite. For a few years my job had me eating at La Hacienda locations across Indy - I consistently found this location to be best (though of course the differences were just in little details - the salsa being a bit better, the stewed chicken a touch tastier).

    Anyway, I enjoy the enchiladas suizas--- but the chicken must be the same that comes with fajitas. A few places in town have switched it up to a cheaper (bagged, I think) product. I'm looking at you, Cancun in Castleton.

    And I'll 2nd Panchos off Allisonville. Be sure to check coupons4indy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite Mexican restaurant in Indianapolis is El Sol de Tala. I love the carved brightly painted wooden furniture and the food is the most authentic I've had in Indianapolis. The Tamale Place is great for tamales. If you are in the mood for seafood, try El Puerto De San Blas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what insiders call "La Ha." Been eating there for 10 years now and the chicken soup you ordered is my absolute favorite. I concur the margaritas and chips are great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a young son and go to La Hacienda frequently with him, because it is very family friendly. We went over the weekend and I remembered reading (a long time ago) that you enjoyed the chicken soup, so I ordered it. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the recommendation. Absolutely delicious and the best thing I have ever eaten there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emily, I know! I love that stuff! And glad I could help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We finally tried out the chicken soup—first The Kid did, then I—and loved it! We eat at the La Ha near 38th & Lafayette regularly and have a set list of favorites so none of us wanted to venture out into new territory. The soup hasn't made it into the rotation, really, but now we tell people how good it is and encourage them to try it too.


    Incidentally, the management recently changed at that location. The menu lists a few addresses, including the one above, so I assume it's being run by the people that run your regular spot. I've only eaten there once since the change and that particular experience wasn't overly pleasant—all but one of the waitstaff are different & service wasn't good. I'm sure we'll give it another chance but in the meantime we're trying out other restaurants to see if there's one we might prefer as a go-to. Westside Indy *does not* lack options for Mexican/South American fare.

    ReplyDelete