Sunday, August 2, 2009

R Bistro- Lunch


As much as I love R Bistro when I have been there for dinner, I had never made it over for lunch. I stopped in the other day with a friend for a quick bite. I have to say, based on that sandwich alone (not having had anything else on the menu), so far, I think I prefer dinner.

I had the Applewood smoked bacon, watercress, avocado and tomato chutney panini which was served with a small side salad. The bacon itself is really yummy, but I found the overall taste of the sandwich to be too sweet for my taste—I know chutney is sweet, but this was a little over the top for me. And there was quite a bit of it (as opposed to the avocado which was much more sparingly used (I personally would’ve liked a bit more, but I am an avocado freak). I would have appreciated something to balance out all that sweetness, maybe some zippy blue cheese or a tart dressing on the watercress. Like I said, the bacon was good, and I ended up just picking out all the bacon on half the sandwich and eating it after I ate the first half.

The side salad was just mixed greens with what tasted like a bit of lemon and oil over it, but not enough dressing to really taste. It’s too bad too because if it had been dressed with more of the tangy dressing, it probably would have balanced the sandwich a bit.

My friend had the Indiana tomato, white cheddar and fennel marmalade sandwich and later when I asked her how it was, she said, she had wished she had ordered what I had because hers was so sweet.

There was a special on this day—scallop ceviche. I really debated whether to get it or the sandwich, as I really love scallop ceviche (I so miss the scallop ceviche at L’explorateur), but I had read the menu so many times and really wanted to try the sandwich so I got it. I wish I had gotten the ceviche. Oh well. Live and learn. And if you don’t like so much sweetness with your lunch, skip these sandwiches and try something else on the menu (there are several really nice sounding things).

R Bistro
888 Massachusetts Ave
Indy, 46204
317-423-0312

No comments:

Post a Comment