Thursday, January 10, 2013

Five Years and Counting...


5 years.

For 5 years (and nearly 500 posts!) I have been writing this blog. It is funny to me how much it has changed and grown over the years—sort of like another child.  Mostly such a blessing, and sometimes a pain in the butt. The other day a woman who had just found it said to me, “what a fun job!” and I said, “It is fun, but more like an expensive hobby.”  People often think somehow I make a lot of money doing this, and the truth is, I make a little —through my Google ads (when someone clicks on them) and occasional other ads from people who approach me (incidentally, always happy to entertain any advertising offers, email me!).  I appreciate every dime, but the truth is (and the fact is) I am clearly not doing it for the money.

I write the blog because I love Indy, and I love food, and because it makes me happy. In some ways it was something I always wanted to do (hubby and I used to write our own little mini reviews of restaurants in San Francisco in our restaurant books or just on our own computer.)  But this baby has grown. Sometimes I can’t believe it when I look at my stats and remember back to when I got excited if I broken double digits in one day. Honestly, I didn’t know if anyone would ever read a word (besides my parents and hubby). (Speaking of--who knew how annoyed people would be by calling hubby “hubby?”  I started with “hubby” just as an affectionate name, way back before I knew how often it is used on blogs and other places in the internet.  I’m always open to change though. We’ll see.)

Something else? When I write, I write the way I would speak if I was talking to you. Yes, that means my grammar isn’t always perfect (as a couple of you love to point out to me). That means there are lots of fragments. But when you read my writing, you are really hearing from me. And sometimes I start sentences with “and.” That’s just how I roll.

One last thing—even though I know blogs are somewhat antiquated these days, what with all the online reviews, and the constant chatter of twitter and all, I want to let you know that I appreciate all of you who take the time and read my posts. And nothing makes me happier than your comments (pretty sure most bloggers consider their “pay” to be their comments—it lets us know someone is out there who cares).  So please keep ‘em coming. Let me know what you agree with, or what you don’t, or what restaurants I should go to, or should not. And hey, if you have any suggestions for ways to improve the blog, please leave them here too.

In that vein, I have decided to try out a new idea. A lot of people ask me to list my top 5 or 10 Indy restaurants, but I always find this hard to do. It is hard to compare Recess to a cheap Chinese place, even though they both might be great in different ways. So, I am going to keep a running list of the best three meals I have had lately—it will be chronological, so when I add a new one, the bottom one will just drop off. That way, it could be a great burger, or a 5 course tasting menu, but they can be equivalent in some way. Also, I don’t always write a full blog post on every meal I eat, so I can incorporate some of those too. So you will find the list, right at the top right side of my blog, under my picture of the Circle. Let me know what you think or if you have any other ideas.

Thanks for indulging me in my rambling anniversary post! I appreciate you all.

-Erin

19 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo, Erin!  Great work!  You are blogging for all the right reasons (lord knows there's no money in it!) and Indy is better for it!  (And it was great to see you and "hubby" on Sunday night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, congratulations on a job well done and we're thrilled you'll continue to do it.  Click on those ads folks.  You don't have to buy anything, but it does help keep this site going.  Since, in my not so humble opinion, Indianapolis does not have a really good "print" dining critic, we need this spot more than ever. 

    Happy New Year and remember, dining reviews need more than an understanding stomach.  On occasion they need MAAlox as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your blog.  I am not up on Twitter but can't imagine it working for restaurant reviews.  I would love to hear about your favorites in any format!   It would be great if there was way you could set it up so we could check it easily the next time we are looking for place to eat. 
    Thanks so much.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn, the list is in the right side column right at the top of the blog (just under the picture of the Circle). It will be updated as often as I have a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate you and your blog!   Congrats on 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all you do!  I have always found your blog informative and fair...and it was very fun reading when I was gone from Indy for 3 years and yet I got to keep up with all the hot new places I was hearing about on social media.  Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on 5 years! This is one of my favorite blogs, and I reference it often when looking for a new place to eat.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us - and thank you for being so consistent with the timing of your posts - every Monday and Thursday without fail!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for noticing Tammy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on 5 years! I love your blog and appreciate all the hard work and dedication involved.  I especially enjoy the variety - from quick lunches with your kids to fancy dinners with your husband or friends, I've gotten so many new ideas of places to try. Thanks for doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, Erin and thanks for all the work you put into this! I always check here before we try a new place, and really enjoy that you write as if you're talking to us. :) Here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! You and I don't always eat at the same places, but I always check your site to see if you've written a review of a place I'm considering visiting. One of my new favorite places--B's Po Boys--based on your first review. I hoe you continue to blog and I'll continue to (eagerly) read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Erin,

    I've been meaning to leave you a comment to see if you've been back to 10-01 lately.  The chef and menu have changed recently (it's now Dan Dunville, used to be at Meridian), and they seem to have really stepped it up.  After vowing to not go back due to poor service on two different occasions, since the change we've been there twice in the last month, and have noticed a HUGE difference.  Also, if you're into bone marrow, they have an appetizer that is really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bethany, I have not been back to 10 01 for quite awhile. I have heard about Dan Dunville being there and look forward to giving it a try soon. thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Relatively new here and do enjoy the blog.

    Might I suggest using stars at the top of the review. Sometimes I can't take the time to read through all of your reviews if I use your reviews to try a new place.

    Oh, and I am interested only one one thing, the quality of the food. 

    Anyways, many thanks and have a happy healthy and prosperous 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! Please keep after it - I'm grateful for all of them, but your blog remains my favorite in the area and is a fantastic resource. It has honestly been inspirational for me, as I entertain daydreams of getting a site of my own, sharing some of the things I'm enthusiastic about and experiencing. 

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks!  I have never done stars because I find it hard to universally apply a star rating to the various types of restaurants that I go to--I added the "best meals lately" list as a way to kind of highlight some really good things, but beyond that, it is hard to compare a cheap taco place to a fine dining restaurant.  Besides, if I put stars at the top, I fear no one would read all those words I work so hard at! :)

    ReplyDelete