Thursday, May 11, 2017

Turf Catering & Kitchen - Revisit

I have been back to Turf a couple of times since my last post and I really like this place still. The first time back I got the turkey club ($10) and wasn’t really expecting it to blow me away or anything, because hey, it’s a turkey club right? To date, this is my favorite sandwich at Turf. It’s got turkey obviously, but this turkey is heavily smoked and has a really unique and delicious flavor. It’s also topped with bacon, Swiss, lettuce, tomato, onion and black pepper mayo. It’s just right and that mayo gives nice flavor and moisture and the right amount of gooey-ness that I like in a sandwich.  I got the onion rings as my side this time and they weren’t my favorite side—they’re really big and a little too soft and doughy for me. That sandwich though…

On that visit, my lunch companion had the short rib grilled cheese with red onion jam and butterkase cheese ($12) which I talked about in a previous post. This is always a favorite as long as you don’t mind a touch of sweetness in your sandwich from the jam. A side of au gratin potatoes were tasty.

On another visit I had the special, which was a chicken melt with roasted chicken, diced tomatoes, cheddar cheese, bacon, chopped red onion and honey mustard ($10). I loved the chopped red onion so you got a little of it in every bite and not just one big mouthful.  I also liked the way they chopped the chicken up too so it wasn’t a giant brick of chicken breast the way most chicken sandwiches are. The honey mustard was a nice flavor, but I was craving a bit more gooey and asked for a side of the aforementioned black pepper mayo to add. Then it was perfect. Okay, still not quite as good as the turkey club, but darn close. I just went with the pimento cheese as my side this time, because let’s face it, it’s my favorite. I still like spreading on their homemade chips.

My friend tried the “Pete’s Pride” ($13), which has five different kinds of pork on it, celery slaw, mayo/mustard mix, and pickles. It had a somewhat similar flavor to a Cuban sandwich, but the celery slaw had a very distinct celery flavor. If you like celery, and a lot of meat, you will probably like this one. It was a little on the heavy side for me, but that’s why I didn’t order it.
I really like this place and I haven’t taken anyone there yet who has not agreed. It’s a big lunch (or a nice lunch and dinner later with your leftovers) and it may seem a little on the pricey side, but for what you get, it’s worth it. And one of the few gems in Castleton.



Turf Catering & Kitchen
8155 Castleway Court, Suite C
Indy  46250
317/288-0173



No comments:

Post a Comment