Monday, March 10, 2014

Boathouse Grill

A couple of you had mentioned this place to me on twitter. I was mostly intrigued because I had never heard of it until then. Hubby had the day off from work the other day, and we decided to take a drive and check it out.

First thing I noticed was the sign on the door that said you had to be 18 to enter. Anyway, once we walked in, I was impressed with the interior. It was a cool old-style bar with lots of wood and a big boat hanging from the ceiling. A little more than you’d expect from a typical strip mall pub.

The menu is pretty big and I wasn’t really sure what to order. I saw that the fish sandwich was on that Super Bowl list awhile back of “best sandwiches.” I should have known better since I know some of the sandwiches on that list were pretty bogus, but I figured it was probably a signature item or something, so I ordered it ($7.25). I went with an upcharge ($1.50) for the onion petals on the side. Unfortunately, this was not a very good sandwich--the fish seemed frozen and was over-fried as well, making it very dark and too crispy. The fish inside was pretty bland and dry. The onion petals also seemed straight out of a freezer, but were cooked correctly and had the right color and crispness.

The good news was that hubby ordered the chicken fajita wrap ($7.95) that our server recommended.
It was delicious. This was one of the few “wraps” on a menu that I have had and really enjoyed. Here’s why-- let’s face it, it was really a burrito. It was a tortilla filled with tender pieces of seasoned chicken, a ton of cheese, and onions and peppers. The whole thing was warm all the way through and lightly grilled on the outside. It was delicious. It came with chips (just out of a bag) and homemade salsa and sour cream on the side. They also had some sliced jalapenos and black olives on the side.  The salsa was on the thin side, but had really nice flavor. I loved dipping the wrap in it. The other good news is that the portions here are enormous, so we ended up basically splitting his wrap and eating a couple of bites of my sandwich and we were stuffed.

This seems like a case where a place is making some things themselves and that stuff is really good and some of the food is coming out of the freezer and it isn’t so good. I would really like to know about the choices they’re making in house though. I would really like to try some more of it. If you’re going for the first time, I can recommend the wraps, or else I would just ask what is housemade.

Boathouse Grill
6225 West 56th Street
Indy 46254
317/328-8812

Boathouse Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment