Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Parcha Sweets


******PARCHA SWEETS IS CLOSED*********

I thought I would just throw this little mini-review in because my daughter and I stopped in to Parcha Sweets on a whim last week.  First of all, best use of an old Domino’s Pizza building.  They have moved into this space and from the moment you walk in, you are greeted with the smell of freshly baked treats.   Now I enjoy a cupcake from time to time, but I have not really followed the whole cupcake frenzy that has taken over the Country.  I know there are several cupcake bakeries in town, but I haven’t really tried most of them.
Like I said, we sort of stumbled in to this one because we needed to kill 15 minutes before we went to our next appointment.  They have set the space up with a little sitting area and even have wifi I believe. The chef is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu and according to the website, has worked all over the country and won all kinds of awards.  Anyway, I sort of let my daughter pick what she wanted, which of course was all chocolate (called chocolate passion).  I also got a couple of mini s’mores and a chilled cupcake called “sweet milk.”

So the cupcakes are quite good—I really liked the slightly chewy cake part of the s’mores one and the little lightly browned marshmallows on top of some chocolate icing that were sprinkled with graham cracker crumbs.  I think the full sized s’mores cupcakes are slightly different than these little mini ones (I think they are filled), but I liked that these were sort of like one big bite.  This one was my favorite I think.
The all chocolate one was quite rich and the cake was very moist.  It was covered with a chocolate ganache frosting and was thoroughly enjoyed by my daughter (I thought she might cry when I asked her to share a bit of it).
The “sweet milk” cupcake was very unusual and I enjoyed it as well.  It is a vanilla cake that is soaked in 3 kinds of milk—not just moist, but actually juicy—by the time we got home it was leaking a little bit.  It was topped with marshmallow fluff frosting and topped with a cherry.  Really unique and seriously, you can’t get a moister cupcake. I like that they have so many unusual flavors and offer many of them all the time (usually just a few on display at a time).
I have been back once to get my daughter another chocolate one, and both times the staff (the second time it was the Chef herself) were extremely kind and helpful in making selections.  My son has a nut allergy and the Chef went through each one telling me the ingredients.
Like I said, I haven’t really been to most of the other cupcakeries in town, but I like this one, and it is probably the closest to my house.  But I know a lot of you know more about this than I do, so please tell me which places you like and why.
Parcha Sweets
2101 Broad Ripple Ave
Indy 46220
317/254-2000


Parcha Sweets on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing this place! It seemed to pop up out of nowhere and I've been very curious about it. Do you remember the prices on the cupcakes? I'd be curious to hear how they compare to The Flying Cupcake. Theirs were in the $2.75 to $3.50 range last time I went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erin-

    I think they are all $2.99 per cupcake if I am not mistaken. And they will give you a frequent buyer card, buy 10 (or 12 I can't remember) get one free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been loving Great Cooks the Bakery lately.... the various rugalahs (sp?) are a fantastic treat....

    ReplyDelete
  4. We stumbled upon Parcha Sweets a week or two after it opened. We met the two women running the bakery, Marian and Keila who were both incredibly friendly. We actually came in after 30 minutes after they were closed, but they invited us in anyways, were both happy to talk to us, give us samples and let us make our selection.

    We tried to get an assortment of their baked goods to make a proper assessment. We tried their mini-pies and pastries (apple pie, pumpkin pie, lemon with fondant, pumpkin coffee cake?, cherry pastry) which were good. The coffee cake was really tasty...moist, tender, good balance of spices and not overwhelmingly sweet. The mini-apple pie was the favorite of the night because of the flaky crust, good apple texture and nice sweetness intermingled with tartness to round it out. The lemon cake with fondant (maybe it was a cupcake, but it was in a foil container?) wasn't to our tastes...it was really overly juicy since it appeared to be cake soaked in a lemon solution and we didn't care for the cake texture. Other than that we were quite pleased with their baked goods. They are supposed to be adding soup and sandwiches in the future too.

    All in all, it was a really cute independent bakery that we look forward to supporting.

    One more note...the have an email mailing list (which they said they won't sell to spammers!) and there's a coupon for one free cupcake after buying three.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Cow Cupcakes in Carmel is really good. I wondered how they got their name but when my husband bit into one and said "Holy Cow that's good" I kinda figured it out.

    ReplyDelete