Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mesh: Revisit-- Lunch

I met a friend for lunch the other day at Mesh and was interested to see if their lunch menu was different from the dinner menu.  Lunch is fairly entrée salad and sandwich-heavy with a few larger entrees.  I have eaten at Mesh a couple of times since my last review and have always been fairly impressed with their food.  It isn’t amazing, but seems pretty consistently good.  One other consistent thing I have experienced there unfortunately though, is some serious attitude from some of the people at the host/ess stand.  The last time I was so pissed by the time I left, I didn’t know if I would go back.  Luckily, this time everything went well, even when we asked to be moved into the bar where it wasn’t as dark and freezing as the table we did get (I was a little nervous about asking just because of previous experiences).

Once we got settled in the bar, we had a very enjoyable experience.  Our server was very friendly and when I asked him, “what was better the shrimp po boy ($11) or the…..” he interrupted me to say, “get the po boy, it is the best thing on the menu.”  So there you go. Decision made.  I loved his confidence in his suggestion (you know I hate it when a server says, “well……the xyz is really popular….”) and you know what?  He was right.  Well, I don’t know if it is the best thing on the menu, but I really enjoyed it.  So much that I ate the whole thing and it’s a pretty big sandwich.
I don’t think it is exactly authentic New Orleans style, but when you can do something different, and do it well, that’s okay too.  It was a soft French roll topped with quite a decent amount of fried shrimp.  They were a good medium size for a sandwich. They weren’t so big that they were hard to eat in one bite, but not so little that they got lost in the other flavors.  They were fried in a crispy breading (cornmeal I would say). The sandwich was then topped with shredded romaine lettuce, chopped tomatoes and a red onion relish.  There was also a fair amount of red chili mayo which made it a little messy but nice and moist.  I really liked the added flavor and texture of the tomatoes and the fact that they were chopped small enough that you just got a nice amount of them in every bite.  I love tomatoes but sometimes on sandwiches, you end up biting into it and pulling the whole thing out, you know?  My favorite addition (and I would say the least authentic part probably) was the onion relish.  They were sort of like caramelized and a little pickled at the same time.   Wow, I really liked this sandwich.
I upgraded from the sweet potato chips that came with it to French fries because I remembered liking their fries.  I am not so sure if my memory served me correctly though.  They were the sort of fries that seem a tiny bit battered and then fried. They weren’t bad, but they weren’t hot enough and as usual, I wished for something besides ketchup to dip into (even if it was homemade). 
This was a great lunch, and even with asking to switch tables, I didn’t get a single bit of attitude while I was there.  And the food was great too. It was nice to have it all come together.
Mesh on Mass Ave.
725 Massachusetts Avenue
Indy 46204
317/955-9600


Mesh on Mass Avenue on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

  1. Glad you had a better time Erin. I have to say that I was at Mesh for lunch this summer and had one of the most perfectly cooked fish sandwiches I have ever had. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely delicious... it reminds me very much of the po' boy special at the Broad Ripple Brew Pub. Usually it's shrimp... but sounds very similar to what you had here! Chopped tomato, cornmeal-crusted shrimp, shredded lettuce, chipotle mayo, but they use pickles instead of the relish. Anyway, this made me incredible hungry. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, I have never had a bad experience at Mesh. I have eaten there probably 5-6 times over the past year, always after work at the bar. I find their food to be above average, nice selction of wine by the glass, and the service (from the bartenders at least) has always been friendly. I think it has been a great addition to the Indy dining scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another one of the restaurants I just don't "get"..yet have eaten here several times for lunch and dinner.

    Mediocre food at best...fried calamari covered in sauce ?? c'mon...a food product that relies on frying process to provide a crunch/texture...and you cover it in sauce ? Sauce should be on the side, and not taste exactly like bottled sweet chili sauce.

    Hostess staff is indifferent and nearly hostile....too damn important to text at work, and the utter disgust when asked to be moved to a table not inundated with afternoon sun...hmmm.

    Service staff that gushes over me to the extent that it intrudes enormously on our conversation...and so enamored of their own witticisms that they constantly talk over us.

    I really don't care for any of their restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear the food was good. Only been there once since it was redone from SI, and the experience was decent. Service was slightly abrupt and rude, so I'm glad to hear it may not always be that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erin!
    Thought you my enjoy this update: Downtown's Wholesale District and Mass Ave are seeing numerous restaurant openings in the second half of 2011. Those coming Downtown for the fall performing arts lineup will have several options! Stay tune for the following new restaurants: The Libertine, Papa Roux, Indianapolis Colts Grille, Mass Mex, Mauricio Pizza, Nake Tchopsticks and Petite Chou! Looking for a side of theatre with your dinner? www.indydt.com/Downtownownsthenight.cfm Feel free to contact me with questions: brittany@indydt.com

    ReplyDelete