Monday, July 24, 2017

Flatwater - Revisit

It has been literally years since I have been to Flatwater, and people keep recommending it to me, so we took the kids one of those lovely early summer nights we had before it was too hot. Of course, we weren’t the only ones thinking this, and ended up having to eat inside (or wait an hour for an outside table).

So we started with an order of pulled pork poutine ($12) because my daughter is obsessed with poutine. If it’s on the menu, she has to have it. She even makes her own at home quite frequently. Anyway, theirs is an interesting version with fries, pulled pork, pork gravy, cheddar cheese curds and scallions. For some reason it doesn’t seem as poutiney as some, more like loaded fries. I think because the pulled pork, which isn’t traditional is more dominant, and the gravy wasn’t very noticeable maybe. They were good cheesy fries though. And enough to feed an army. Their fries are hand cut and quite tasty.

For my main dish, I was excited to try the tuna tartare ($14) because a couple of people had mentioned it to me, and I had a version of it years back that wasn’t so good. This one was really, really good though. The cubes of tuna were tossed in a marinade with lime, Sriracha and soy (and a lime on the side that I squeezed on top too) and then a drizzle of avocado cucumber puree was across the top. The tartare was on top of crispy wonton chips and some sesame slaw. I thought it could use just a touch more soy, which they brought me, but overall this is one of my favorite versions in town now. And although it is listed as an appetizer, it is a very nice dinner for one. I will definitely be ordering this again (and hopefully next time we’ll get to sit outside).

My daughter, who is starting to love tuna as much as I do, ordered the seared tuna appetizer ($14), which is sesame seed encrusted and served on top of chunks of avocado, lettuce, carrots and daikon and surrounded by a lemongrass ponzu. This is a bit lighter, simpler tasting version of the tuna that is slightly cooked if that is your preference. I liked the ponzu sauce with it. I appreciate that both make nice light entrées. While the menu has a lot of heavier, meatier sandwiches and such, there are several nice options for something else—and they still taste really good. I liked the tartare better though, just because there was more going on.

My son had a burger with cheese, bacon and mushrooms with a side of fries ($14). He asked for it medium rare and they served it that way. It was a very good burger with a very nice pretzel bun. He really enjoyed it as did hubby, who snuck in several bites. It was tender and very juicy—almost too juicy but that I think was mainly the fault of the mushrooms. My son said he probably wouldn’t order mushrooms next time just because they made it a little soggy, even though he liked the taste of the mushrooms.

Hubby had a brisket Reuben sandwich ($13). They smoke their own brisket and then use the rest of the traditional accompaniments on the sandwich—sauerkraut, Thousand Island dressing and Swiss cheese. Hubby thought the brisket was really good, he only wished there was a bit more of it. But I kind of liked that the sandwich wasn’t enormous. The bites I had were very tasty.

We didn’t get a dessert here because the kids had their hearts set on Nicey Treat, but we really enjoyed everything we had. It was one of a few places that I think everyone would be just as happy to return to. And hopefully, we can sit outside next time.

Flatwater
832 East Westfield Blvd
Indy 46220
317/257-5466

No comments:

Post a Comment