Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sunrise Café

***This location is closed but relocating as of 1/1/12

This place used to be one of my favorite breakfast places when we first moved back to Indy.  I have to say though, I have seen quality shifts in the time since I have been going, and was motivated to try other places in the meantime.  But we went back the other day for a nice fried breakfast after a night of a bit too much wine (my favorite time for these kinds of breakfasts) and had a meal that was back up there with some of the best experiences we have had.
I just had my usual basic breakfast—2 eggs over medium (they do it right here), bacon, hash browns and toast ($7.75).  The eggs are cooked perfectly over medium the way I like, with a nice runny yolk, but no runny whites.  The hash browns were perfect on this trip—perfectly browned and crispy on both sides. Crunchy and delicious.

The factor that has made me lose interest in this place on and off is the bacon.  I have been there when the bacon was dry and flavorless to the point that I didn’t go back for awhile.  This time the bacon was thicker and had great salty bacon flavor.  It isn’t super fancy bacon or anything, but was good and it hit the spot.
They also make their bread themselves, and it is very good.  I just had the white, and it was obviously fresh.  The one thing that I didn’t like, and depending on how much is used, can make a meal a little too greasy for me, is the “butter” type stuff used on the bread and to cook the eggs in (I think they are using the same for both anyway). It think it is a buttery oil, not actually real melted butter, and a little of it is ok, but when you get too much, it just tastes like oily toast.  On this particular trip, it was a little borderline.  I think next time I will ask for the toast dry and for actual butter on the side. (I will note for the record that hubby and I have a disagreement on this issue and he does not think it is oil.  But we will have to agree to disagree).
So I am not sure why it is so challenging to find a really good, divey breakfast in Indy.  This totally seems like something that Indy could excel at, but I have yet to find a single spot that can pull it off every time. I have had some good breakfasts, and this was one of them, but the consistency has been a little questionable sometimes.  Hmmmm…wonder what it is that makes it such a challenge to find.
Sunrise Café
3309 East 86th Street
Indy 46240
317/253-8266



Sunrise Cafe on Urbanspoon

13 comments:

  1. Jessica in NoblesvilleApril 14, 2011 at 7:37 AM

    Have you been to Best Bet in Fishers yet? It's on the east side of SR 37 just south of 146th. They have great breakfast plates, the places it kitschy with the poker theme and the host and staff are beyond friendly. I've never had a bad breakfast there, and I love being treated like family when I enter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried "Deli" yet on Keystone? I think it is actually called "Keystone Deli" but the sign on the strip mall at 54th-ish and Keystone just says "Deli." it's a great dive breakfast spot, good for those nights with one too many glasses of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubs and I went here a few weeks ago. I loved the fact that the hashbrowns were uber crunchy, but they were really greasy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree about Best Bet. Also, I enjoy the Uptown Cafe in downtown Noblesville on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sunrise Cafe. And, my favorite part about it is the homemade strawberry jam! I'm surprised it didn't make your review! I always ask for my toast "dry" and then go to town with the jam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should try the Pancake Emporium at 86th and ditch! Very good food and lots of it for little money. Highly recommended.

    Enjoy
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recommendations you guys. And Martha Ellen, we have beento the Keystone Deli a couple times (I reviewed it twice here on the blog). It is a great choice for those hangover breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Sunrise for their Eggs Benedict & hashbrowns, best I have had in Indy! Best Bet for the biscuits & gravy & the unlimited toast while you wait & during the week they have the cinnamon donuts. We go to Brunchies in Carmel, for their crunchy french toast. Maxine's for Chicken, Waffles & peach butter. Want to try Three Sisters in BR...that is next on the list. I obviously LOVE breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This particular Sunrise Cafe (82nd Street) is now closed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it moved to another location. Anyone know where the new location is situated?
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim, I heard it was moving to the shopping center at 71st and Shadeland.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now open at 7387 N Shadeland Ave.

    ReplyDelete
  13. now open at 7387 N. Shadeland Ave.

    ReplyDelete