Monday, January 14, 2008

Oceanaire and the Portions

Ok, I have to vent about something. What is the deal with the enormous portion sizes and restaurants in this city?? We recently went to Oceanaire, where I have been on many occasions in the past, but every time I am shocked at how much friggin' food they put in front of you. They charge for all that food too, I assure you.

The thing is, the food is generally good, and sometimes even great. But whenever we are going there, I have to start my game plan way in advance. OK, who can I get to split something with me? How can I work this so I don't feel stuffed just from looking at the food they put down in front of me before I have a bite? Here's what I mean, knowing what I know, I went in with my plan. There were 4 of us dining. Between 4 people, we split 2 apps. The fried oysters (which are quite good--and get rave reviews from hubby who lived in New Orleans for 4 years.) and the crab cake (as mentioned in previous post, the only good one in this City I am afraid).

I decided to get a crab Louis salad for my main (which considering it is $20 seems fair). (Although there are no mains on the menu for $20--most are in the $30's at least). OK, it is a good salad with a good Louis dressing. BUT, there were like 4 heads of lettuce in the salad and 2 large tomatoes. Next time, I will ask for about 1/3 as much lettuce and tomatoes. I will keep all the crab though, and it is also very generous.

The other 3 diners shared ONE chopped salad and had more then enough. One companion had a starter for his main, and the others (Having never been before) each ordered their own entree. Oh, and we ordered a side of au gratin and creamed spinach. First, let me say before I forget, skip the spinach. The au gratins are good and are enough for 4 (we had some left over).

We were BLOATED when we left. When the server asked if we wanted dessert, I was thinking, "are you serious?" And in the past, when it was new to me, we made the mistake of ordering dessert. They would easily serve 4 and they aren't that good.

I do want to say the food at Oceanaire is good. Very good. But really, I think everyone would be better off with half the portions (on most things) and half the price.

Ok, I know I said I would talk about R Bistro and Meridian next, but had to stick this in. I promise the rest soon.

-Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

**PLEASE NOTE***

I am limiting publication of "anonymous" comments. Please give me some sort of name when you post your comment.

If don't want to log in to one of the options, simply click on the "name/url" option and type in a name. You don't need to enter a url.

Thanks, Erin